Wednesday, March 18, 2009



The Institute of Culture and Language, Costa Rica (ICLC) is the school where the Minnesota students are taking Spanish and two other classes (including my World Literature class). It is set on a lovely hillside campus in the countryside. Most of the classrooms and meeting areas are outdoors—small gazebos and patios with a table and some chairs, like the one in the picture. The indoor facilities include a reception/office building, a cafeteria/library/ office building, and a computer lab/indoor auditorium, plus the baƱo (you know, the bathroom).

The staff at ICLC is wonderful. Everyone has been helpful in getting us oriented to the school and the city. Marie met them on the first days we were here, and they keep asking about her and her school experience. They are pleased that she is here to learn more Spanish, and so that I am not all alone, as one of them said. I am pleased, too.


Even though I am not taking the Spanish classes, they help me learn a few new words each day I am there. While some of them speak English, some don't so we have interesting conversations with gestures and actions. I have lots of words but not much for sentences (you know, all those verbs and conjugations slow me down). Many times I wish for better Spanish so I could get to know more people here.

The students, however, are expanding their language all the time. They take intensive Spanish classes, from eight to noon Monday through Friday. They also live with Costa Rican families so are immersed in the culture and required to get along in Spanish. They seem to be learning lots and having a good time. My class meets one afternoon a week for three hours; this week we finished a book by an African author and next week we start one set in China. It’s quite a multi-cultural term for us all.


You notice that I have not posted a picture of me in my uniform for you--no uniform : ) Well, except for the same old shorts and t-shirts that I wear everyday. The other school picture I might include would be pretty boring--me on my computer. That's because I am working away on the online classes I am taking. I am learning lots in those, too. I try to squeeze that work into the time when Marie is at school to leave us time for walks or errands in the afternoons. Then we do homework together at night. And travel on the weekends. But those stories are for another blog.


If you want to see me ICLC pictures, go to

No comments:

Post a Comment